How to Make Great Jerky (Using a muscle cut)
Great beef cuts for jerky are as follows: London broil, Eye of round (lots of meat and hardly any waste), top round or bottom round
- Remove all fat from meat.
- Slice strips no thicker than ¼ inch for best results (Meat is easier to cut when partially frozen also).
- Shake bottle well before opening. Marinate meat refrigerated in a large bowl or gallon Ziploc bag for 12-24 hours (12 is plenty), stirring occasionally. (DO NOT REUSE MARINADE)
- Line bottom of rack with foil to catch the drippings.
- Hang meat vertically between oven racks by inserting a toothpick in one end of the strip. You can also lay the meat side by side across oven racks, 1/4 inch space between. Make sure to spray racks with non stick spray beforehand.
- Dry in oven at 160-175 degrees until dry (6-12 hours depending on thickness). To maintain temperature of 160-175 prop open oven door with a wooden spoon (you can check the temperature with an oven thermometer).
REMINDER…jerky does not have to be leather dry to be ready to eat.
Also works with dehydrators, just follow the manufacturers recommendations for use.
Eat great jerky!